Friday, August 28, 2009

Will I ever escape homework???

Remember when we were in school, and we would think "I can't wait until I am out of school and an adult, so I don't have to do homework anymore!"?

Then we grew up, and realized that life had other things for us to take the place of homework. The sad thing is - once you have kids - you have homework again! My mother never had to sit and do homework with me, and now my kids have so much homework, I spend all afternoon doing homework once again!

The worst part is, that these teachers don't take into account, that the more kids you have, the more homework you have! I am exhausted by the end of the day! Poor Lucy, we were working on her homework immediately from when she came home from school, finishing just in time for dinner, pjs, brush teeth, scriptures, family prayer and bedtime! Just so she can wake up, and go to school, come home and start the vicious cycle again. There isn't any free time to just be a kid - or a parent for that matter!

Luckily, Emmie is pretty independent with her homework, and I rarely have to help her (except on those occasions where she procrastinates, and announces at bedtime "Oh, I forgot, I have a huge science project due tomorrow" - and we scramble to help her put something together. Mind you, I do NOT do their homework for them, I am a "Mean Mom" through and through. But I do sit with them, and ask questions or give explanations to help them do it themselves.

Abigail's homework will start next week - and she is only in Kindergarten.

This is not to mention the swim and dive that we do, to try to help Em towards getting a scholarship for college.

All said and done - I wouldn't trade my kids for anything in the world! I love them so dearly, and can't wait for Esther to join our herd!

No comments: