Thursday, August 25, 2011

40 is Fabulous!

Well, most people dread the BIG 40 - but I was excited! The way I see it - I earned it! I lived those 40 years, and I'm still kickin'. People tend to think that I am in my late 20's or early 30's (or worse, when I was pregnant they thought I was a teen-mom).

After getting the kids off to school, Esther and I met Tanya and Cheri at Starbucks, for a little breakfast, and then went to the Bali Outlet in Folsom for some bra shopping! What a great experience there! They come and measure you, find out what you are wanting and not wanting in a bra, and bring them to you. They even have a little doorbell inside the dressing room, so you can just ring it when you need more bras, or a different size. Jan was our salesperson, and she was fabulous! I felt so badly for the workers there, looking at the HUGE pile of bras that were a "no". We lost track of time, and so I raced off to my massage with Heidi! She is so amazing, knowledgeable and talented! That was heavenly (except when she was working on some deeper spots - ouch, but good!!).

I had planned on going to the temple after that, but Heidi worked on me for almost two hours (yes - awesome!), so I didn't have enough time to go and get back to the Hulbert's house by 6pm. I had last minute agreed to doing a get together of family and friends (who could make it on such short notice). We had it at the Hulbert's house, and Gary even made the cake! It was amazing - death by chocolate! He uses tons of cocoa, and makes the frosting from scratch! It was wonderful! We also had some delicious L&L Hawaiian BBQ, and all the wonderful munchies that Cheri brought. Some played Pickleball, while the rest of us just visited and enjoyed each other's company.

So, I think most people have a hard time turning 40, because they aren't where they thought they should be in life. But I had that "crisis" at 25! I know, 25 is so young to have that crisis. But I hadn't finished college, served a mission, or had kids yet (all I thought I would have done by then). I was newly married, and feeling like I was way behind on my carefully planned life schedule!

Over the years, I have learned that we are not on our own schedule - but on God's schedule! Proven by the fact that we couldn't get pregnant on fertility treatments, it took 3 years between each child - and then when we thought we were done, I got pregnant on Birth Control!
I have learned that when we let go of our own will, and trust in God's will - we are blessed beyond measure. Proven by the fact that as our finances fell with the economy, and we lost jobs and our home - and I was crying, asking God why! Why us, when we worked so hard, tried to do our best, paid our tithes, and served Him as best we could - why were we losing our home and struggling so hard! God saw the big picture, and that was that only by having a lower income - would we qualify for the insurance that covered Lucy's tests and brain surgery - saving her life! He knew what was on our road ahead, when we couldn't see that far!

I've learned that life is too short to be stressed and grumpy! OK, so I am still a work in progress on this one - but I'm working on it! Don't stress over the little things, or even the big things! Stress doesn't solve anything.

I won't turn this into an "I've learned" list, that we have all seen before - but I have learned so much in the last 40 years, that I look forward to the next 40 years of more learning, growing, and becoming!

So I am proud to accept my "40 year" virtual trophy! So bring it on 50, I'm not scared of you either!!!

2 comments:

★ThE mAd HaTTeR★ said...

I love your positivity, Debbie! I hope we can visit each other soon. I sure love you guys! Happy belated birthday!
Crystal

Jess said...

I love it!
Happy 40th birthday,Debbie.
I'm next.... : )